18V engine questions

Subject: 18V engine questions
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 19:06:52 -0400 (EDT)
Hello all,

   I just got my block and crankshaft back from the shop today, and I
have a question regarding what thrust washers I should order.
The shop told me that when they ground the crank the specs are .010, .010
and .010 which I assume that the main, rod bearings should be .010, but
I'm a little mixed up about the thrust washers.  It seems that they only
come in standard, .003 and .005.

   - I measure about .1" clearance between the face of the crankshaft and
the block when I set the crank in place (this is without any washers).
In other words, if the thrust washers were each about .1" thick, they
would just fit.

   - What is the thickness of a "standard" thrust washer?

   - Are thrust washers the sort of thing that you "stack up" to get the
desired tolerance?

   The parts catalogs show crankshaft "plugs".  These appear to be placed
on the rod and/or main bearing face of the crank.  What are these for?
I've got the usual oil passages on the bearing faces, but I don't see any
place or reason to have a plug.

My apologies in advance if I'm asking stupid questions, and as always any
help is appreciated...

John Van Valkenburgh
Raleigh, NC