Re: MGB Overdrive Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Overdrive Question
From: Eric Lund <ecwink@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 08:17:37 -0700 (PDT)
Help me debunk some myths and misconceptions:

First, I have been told that the life of an engine at redline under load
(i.e. on the road and not on a test stand) is measured in minutes, say
18-20 minutes at most.
The argument was that the compression rings "bang around" and wear out.
Can this be true?  I expect shorter life at high
revs, but this seems a bit extreme to me, especially for a modern DOHC motor.

Second, I was recently told that using inferior grade (i.e. not this
company's $8/qt stuff) motor oil will cause deposits to build up on the
exhaust valves.  I can understand how combustion products will deposit
on the valves, but how in the world does the oil get there?

Thanks,

Wink Lund