Re: 77B Won't Start

To: Visual Productions <visprod@whc.net>
Subject: Re: 77B Won't Start
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 18:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 10 Aug 1995, Visual Productions wrote:

> My recently-purchased '77B has become quite a headache. I wouldn't

> A few weeks ago the car started to run rough. It would occasionally
> misfire or suffer a loss of power when I would accelerate to highway
> speeds or to climb hills. This happened, by the way, the day after it
> passed Texas' safety & emissions inspection for the first time.
>
> The misfire and loss of power turned to horrible backfiring and
> sometimes flames out of the carb.

Does your breakerless ignition system (I do prefer the description
"pointless" ignition system) have a capacitor?  Because the above could
be produced by a deteriorating capacitor.

> a Weber Carb, and, a recent discovery, a contactless electronic
> ignition system.
>

> A strange happening: occasionally the carb spits fuel out of the air
> intake as the engine is being cranked.
>
> Any thoughts?

The backfiring and refusal to start are consistent with a timing chain
that has jumped a tooth or two or three.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910