What is a smog check

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: What is a smog check
From: "Eric L. Van Iderstine" <elv1@ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 13:23:43 -0500 (CDT)
Whats all this talk about smog checks?  Everyone mentions them, but I
just don't understand.

You mean that in your states/countries that the vehicle has to RUN
CLEANLY, AND NOT SPEW OUT LARGE QUANTITIES OF SMOKE??  Jeeeeez, that's
crazy...

I'd guess a good 10-15 % of the vehicles in this state wouldn't be raod
certified.

Of course, I was with a friend who took his 73 mustang (302 bored out of
course, edelbrok intake......etc) to a place to get an inspection
sticker.  After looking around the store for a while waiting on someone
to look at it, a guy finally did.

Following is the conversation.

HIM - Whuuts she gotinner?

US - 302.

HIM - see dat camaro over'air.  Got'er a 383 stroker inner.  $1800 bucks
to whoe'er taker.

US - cool.

And off we went with a new Mississippi inspection sticker.  We of course
spun the wheels on exit (mandatory in Vancleve, MS).

And no, the car couldn't have passed a real inspection if it had to.

Eric "I don't need no stinking smog check" Van Iderstine

Eric L. Van Iderstine - ME - Mississippi State University
elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu     http://www2.msstate.edu/~elv1
74 MGB & 85 Buick (until I finish the MG)

"An object at rest cannot be stopped." The evil midnight bomber
what bombs at midnight    FROM "THE TICK"