Re: Dual carb mod in CA?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dual carb mod in CA?
From: DamitDick@megaweb.com (W. J. Richard Criswell)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 19:52:37
Denise wrote...

>For example, your car needs rings and you put dual carbs on it to make it
>run better.  If the smog technician notices that you have the wrong carbs,
>you're obligated to rebuild the engine, whereas if you left the stock carb
>on, you pay the maximum amount (the estimated cost of a tuneup for the year
>of the car) to the smog/repair facility to make a lame attempt to make your
>car pass and then you get an exemption for the rings.  When you modify a car,
>you give away your "get out of jail free" card.  That's why people swap the
>stock stuff back on every two years.

As I understand it your, "get out of jail free" card is good one time only for
the car, year(s) and
condition noted. Next time around no exemption for that previous condition.
Please correct me on
this if I'm in error.

>MG's in particular:
>Air pumps are a "hard to get item" and you can have the ARB look for one for
>you.  Honest!  They scour the junk yards and they can only make you pay so
>much.

AIR PUMPS CAN BE REBUILT. But if you insit on taking them off and throwing them
away,
PLEASE thow them my way. I'll have them rebuilt and sell them back to you for
big bucks some
day.

Thanks

Dick :>)