Re: Dual carb mod in CA?

To: Denise Thorpe <thorpe@kegs.saic.com>
Subject: Re: Dual carb mod in CA?
From: David Simpson <davids@CyberGate.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 06:40:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 22 Aug 1995, Denise Thorpe wrote:
<snip>
> However, if you actually improve the combustion of the car by making modif-
> ications, then you're financially liable to make the car pass the limits no
> matter what.
> <snip>
> car pass and then you get an exemption for the rings.  When you modify a car,
> you give away your "get out of jail free" card.  That's why people swap the
> stock stuff back on every two years.
> <snip>
> If for some reason, you can't _get_ the part you need to make your car stock,
> a smog referee can give you an exemption for an approved replacement, but you
> have to jump through a few flaming hoops first.  And you have to _prove_ that
> you can't get the part _before_ you install it or you fall under the "modified
> car" rule described above.
>
> It _is_ possible for replacement parts to get a blanket blessing from the
> ARB.  The manufacturer of the replacement part usually does this because it
> costs big bucks and requires supplying specifications that the average car
> owner doesn't have.  Believe it or not, you get the info on what you can put
> on your car from the Automotive Repair Bureau of California.  They're in the
> phone book.
>
> But you knew this.  My info comes from having a smog license from '79 to
> '84.  From what I've heard, the smog laws haven't changed much -- just the
> costs and emissions limits.  If I'm wrong, please correct me because I'd
> hate to get anyone in trouble.
>
> MG's in particular:
> Air pumps are a "hard to get item" and you can have the ARB look for one for
> you.  Honest!  They scour the junk yards and they can only make you pay so
> much.
>
> I vaguely remember hearing that there is a Weber that's sanctioned by the
> ARB.
>
> MG's are getting old enough to fall off the edge of the world, info-wise.
> There are no longer any timing specs for my '67 B in the official books.
> Soon, the pimply-faced teenager who gives your car the visual inspection
> will have no way of knowing what's supposed to be on your car.  But s/he
> might know MG's and then you'd be in trouble.
>
> Denise "spending WAY too much time on this stuff" Thorpe
> thorpe@kegs.saic.com

Denise,
     Thanks for all the info, and you are absolutely right, but you knew
that! I passed my smog last year with the
Moss Motors manual choke mod in the carb. The water heated choke is now
considered too rare or expensive to replace, so manual choke is OK.
Trouble is finding the right "pimply faced kid" who knows about that.
     BTW, the guy (not pimply-faced or "spotty" for you Brits), let my
engine idle until the temp was pegged on the guage. The coolant recovery
tank had spring a pinhole leak also. I found this as I walked back into
this small-but-knowledgeable-shop-that-knew-MG's. Got my engine shut
down, cooled down, got my cert and went home. A few days later I noticed
that the head had cracked! (Fill in your own appropriately foul language at
this point). Ya gotta watch 'em all da freakin' time.
    Speaking of smog violation penalties, there are also very steep fines
for operating with illegal equipment installed at ANY time. I don't know
how anyone would know, (Cop: "Okay buddy, let's see that carburetor"),
but the penalties are so much money for each DAY of operation! So one
must be aware of that aspect, even on the 'change-it-every-two-years' plan.

DISCLAIMER: The above material is totally fictional and is written for
the purpose of developing a screen play about MG owners and their cars.

David Simpson
davids@cybergate.com