Re: Roaring exhaust sound

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roaring exhaust sound
From: JAMES <JBMYERS@msuvx2.memphis.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 14:01:15 -0500 (CDT)
Bert,

1. The first thing you need to do is find a parking garage (or lot) and see how
many alarms you can set off.

2. Then, you need to see if you can attract the attention of your local law
enforcement types, and yet avoid paying any fines.

3. Finally, how far will your car shoot objects from the tailpipe?

As Official Records Keeper of the 1995 Concours D' Exhaust, I encourage you to
apply for these various categories of competition. And in the name of science,
please remember to document your findings as a baseline for future comparisons.

  *************************

SERIOUSLY, (yaa, right) any decent muffler/exhaust shop should be able to fix
you up. The front pipe from the manifold is available from Moss or VB, and
anybody can fit a pipe from there to behind the axle. Replacement mufflers are
made for noise reduction, not much else. Although to their credit, Walker does
make a line of free-flow mufflers for performance uses.

I would think that any free-flow muffler that will fit under the car would work
just fine. As for me, I had the boys at Ace Muffler (Stephenville, TX) weld up
the exhaust on my B, using 2-1/4 inch pipe and a 28 inch long glasspack. This
is also mild steel, not stainless. The long glasspack keeps the noise level
down, with minimal back pressure. And they were able to fit it _very_ close to
the underside of the car, I haven't bottomed out in quite a while.

It's been under the car for four years now,
no signs of rustout yet. The best part was, it cost $10.00, and sounds WAY
better than a Miata with its $30,000 "sports car" exhaust.

James "I love parking garages and tunnels" B.
'71 MGB
'71 LeSabre