Re: Beware of local ripoff artists!

To: "W. J. Richard Criswell" <DamitDick@megaweb.com>
Subject: Re: Beware of local ripoff artists!
From: cedwards@pinn.net
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 13:43:15 -0500 (EST)
Local parts stores operate at gross margins of 20% to 40%.  Retail
customers pay the higher mark-up.  A local store provides local jobs and
has access to many parts when needed in an emergency. Add up all the
fixed costs you can imagine for a local store (rent, utilities, salaries,
local taxes) and divide them by the average gross margin percentage - say
30%.  If total expenses are $8,000 then the store must have Total Sales
of ($8000/.3) $$26,667 just to break even.  In addition, the average
investment in parts on the shelf can easily be $20,000, so the store
owner is taking a significant financial risk.  And profit is, after all,
payment for risk.  Buy some more from this guy.  He needs you.

Charles E. Edwards, CPA
Virginia Beach, VA
cedwards@pinn.net