Re: Starter cranks w/ p-brake set

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter cranks w/ p-brake set
From: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 95 07:48:28 EDT
Dave Simpson wrote:
>        After a bit of astute troubling-shooting and careful
>experimentation, (i.e. pulling on the handbrake lever again), I found that
>the starter would run whenever the "BRAKE" light on the dash illuminated.
>(Yes, mine works.)
>        Yes, The Prince of Darkness had struck (strucked? strucken?) again!
>After much atonement was made to the dark forces, and the usual small-animal
>sacrifice, I was able to locate a diode in the wiring diagram that would
>cause this manifestation IF it were to breakdown and pass what the High
>Priests call Reverse Current. Much penitence later, I was able to actually
>find the diode in the car, and upon exorcising it from the circuitry, caused
>the evilness to cease. The diode tested out faulty, BTW.
If I remember right, this diode is behind the glovebox, right?
This was not quite my failure mode.  Mine was that the starter relay on the
fender failed in the on position.  Melted about half the insulation off my
main lead to the battery.  Have not cleaned out my car that fast in a long
time to get to the battery cover :-(  After that, I got a pair of big
Chrysler relays (about 4 times the size of the Lucas units.)  Never had any
relay trouble after that.  While the starter worked after the incident, I
did have to replace it about 3 months later.  Something was cooked medium
well inside and it took another 3 months to get well done :-(

Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581