Re: Starter cranks w/ p-brake set

To: davids@emerald.cybergate.com (David Simpson)
Subject: Re: Starter cranks w/ p-brake set
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 22:46:52 +0600
>It stopped as soon as I (with
>amazingly fast, cool reflexes) let go of the parking brake lever and gave
>the master mechanic's traditional shout of discovery at a new and unheard-of
>event, to wit, "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!".

ROFL!  Good one, David.

>        After a bit of astute troubling-shooting and careful
>experimentation, (i.e. pulling on the handbrake lever again), I found that
>the starter would run whenever the "BRAKE" light on the dash illuminated.
>
>I was able to locate a diode in the wiring diagram that would
>cause this manifestation IF it were to breakdown

You proceeded to fix your car without first asking the list for advice?!
Outrageous!  You're a madman!  ;)

>I can find no reason for the diode to be there in
>the first place.

The diode is there to illuminate the dash "Brake" light when you start the
car. Every modern car does this (B's have something in common with modern
cars?).  I guess the idea is to let the driver know whether or not the light
actually works, sort of like an automatic version of the brake light check
switch on the dash of 68-76 B's.

>        Has ANYONE else had this particular experience? Hopefully my tale
>may enlighten someone, or add to the cumulative knowledge of the species.

It happens more often than you may think.  Been there.  Done that.  I just
pulled the diode out without replacing it.  If I feel the need to check the
light I just tug on the handbrake.
--
Jay Tilton
jtilton@vt.edu