Rover V8 question

To: MG Listserv <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rover V8 question
From: "Patrick M. Clawson" <pclawson@mail.orion.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 16:53:09 -0500 (CDT)
I wrote some personal responses before I read all submissions.
To set the record straight:

1961-1963 Buick Special (and a few Skylarks, darn few) had the
all-aluminum 215 cid eight-cylinder as standard equipment.  The 1961-1963
Oldsmobile F-85 offered the same standard engine.  The Pontiac Tempest
was offered with the 215 as an option.

Now, hang on for the option permutations:
The optional Buick engine was a 90-degree V6; an eight with two cut off.
The optional Olds engine was a low-compression unit, borrowing an
un-intercooled turbo from the Corvair assembly line.
The  standard Pontiac Tempest was a four cylinder (half of the
current-production iron V8).  1961-62 Tempests borrowed the transmission
from the Corvair.  The engine was up-front, and the tranny was in back.

Leave it to Generic Motors to design a great engine, and then sell it to
somebody else!  Oh, well, Austin-Rover made better use of it than GM ever
could have tried to.

* Patrick M Clawson       *
* Eng. Technologist       *
* pclawson@mail.orion.org *