Why Don't My Light Work? was:Starter cranks...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Why Don't My Light Work? was:Starter cranks...
From: JAMES <JBMYERS@msuvx2.memphis.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 13:09:58 -0500 (CDT)
Jay Tilton wrote:

>You proceeded to fix your car without first asking the list for advice?!
>Outrageous!  You're a madman!  ;)

Yes, I must concur with Jay. This is why lbc's have such a poor reputation for
reliability. Prior to the net wisdom availability we now enjoy, only madmen
(don't forget the madwomen) and lunatics were able to perform maintenance on
these automobiles. Come to think of it, this explains quite a bit about those
responsible for designing and manufacturing them, too. ;^)

But I digress (surprise!) -

>The diode is there to illuminate the dash "Brake" light when you start the
>car. Every modern car does this (B's have something in common with modern
>cars?).  I guess the idea is to let the driver know whether or not the light
>actually works, sort of like an automatic version of the brake light check
>switch on the dash of 68-76 B's.
[snip]
>If I feel the need to check the light I just tug on the handbrake.

I have the spiffy check light switch in my dash, but if I want to check it, I
have to push the button. It don't work when the handbrake is pulled, nor when
the shuttle in the brake proportioning valve is pushed off-center (did this
during brake overhaul).

Is my diode burned out? Missing? Where would I find this mythical diode?

It is imperative that I find and deal with this previously-unknown-about part,
before it realizes I know it may exist, and fails suddenly, or encourages
another part to go berserk. Classes start  Monday, and I don't want to be
explaining to the dept. chair why my students were waiting for me to fix my lbc
on the first day of classes. 8^)

James "no madmen _here_" B.
'71 EmGeeBee
'71 Byooik Gee Ess LaSayber