Re: Why Don't My Light Work? was:Starter cranks...

To: JAMES <JBMYERS@msuvx2.memphis.edu>
Subject: Re: Why Don't My Light Work? was:Starter cranks...
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 15:47:08 +0600
>I have the spiffy check light switch in my dash, but if I want to check it, I
>have to push the button. It don't work when the handbrake is pulled, nor when
>the shuttle in the brake proportioning valve is pushed off-center (did this
>during brake overhaul).
>Is my diode burned out? Missing? Where would I find this mythical diode?

Neither the switch on the handbrake lever nor the diode were used before
1977. I didn't know before studying the wiring diagrams just now.

>It is imperative that I find and deal with this previously-unknown-about part,
>before it realizes I know it may exist, and fails suddenly, or encourages
>another part to go berserk.

The acid test of the "a part will only break once you know of its existence"
theory would be to see if a diode can spontaneously generate itself on your
car . . . then detroy itself.
--
Jay Tilton
jtilton@vt.edu