Re: This week's Puzzler (long) -Reply

To: RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov
Subject: Re: This week's Puzzler (long) -Reply
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 17:23:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 24 Aug 1995 RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov wrote:

> John,
> "Everything goes wrong at once" does NOT describe your situation.
> First it was perhaps worsened by what you admitted was a kludge of
> running the engine breather direct into the intake system, which
> should be metered thru a pcv or the like.  All that oil in there is
> not good.  But you only lost rings and a piston!  It could have been
> much worse...dropped valve, scored cylinder, gouged head, cracks in
> block...I for one am glad for you that it is this little damage.  And
> please get the breather thing right before running it again...even if
> you don't have it going anywhere but out to soil the air, thats
> better than what you had!

I am venting into the engine compartment right now...  This will work
fine as long as there isn't significant blow-by.

(Quick update:  Engine fired up for first time today, no blow-by, good
oil pressure.  Rebuild complicated by:  "What's this here in the oil
pan?  It's not part of a piston or ring..." which turned out to be timing
chain rollers.  The chain wasn't broken yet but didn't have long to live).

As for PCV valves, I thought their only purpose in life was to prevent
"flashback (??)" or combustion getting back into the crankcase.

I'll go along with the "kludge" evaluation, but it was designed by a
mechanically inclined friend of mine.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"LBC Relativity II - None of your relatives really believes a
Spitfire/Midget/Sprite is really a car. - JMT"