Re: Midget does strange things

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget does strange things
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 95 15:59:43 PDT
> Well, in a moment of weakness i decided to try to impress my
> new potential girlfriend with a ride up the mountains in the MG.
> She loved it (so did i). It ran like a champ up the mountain road
> to this restaurant we stopped at for dinner. We were there about
> 2 hours and when we came out the MG ('73 Midget) would not start.
> It had plenty of spark, plenty of gas.

Maybe it had too _much_ gas -- you were up in thinner air.

> Just wouldn't start no
> matter how many good thoughts i thought.

There's your problem.  MG's don't respond to good thoughts, they only
respond to abuse and violence.  Remember the "rapping the fuel pump"
trick?  Carry a hammer and threaten the Midget occasionally to keep it
in line.  BTW, be sure to inform your girlfriend that the navigator's
job is to hunt for rattles and bash the fuel pump as necessary.

> So we hitched home, got the Jeep, towed it home.
>
> Went out this morning, hadn't done *anything*, it started on the
> first try. 8-0!
>
> Is this common?

Of course!  That's the fun of British cars.  Predictable cars are
boring.

> A very confused Graham.

I'm impressed that you made the car drivable so soon.  Now you need
to drive it by the previous owner's house to impress him.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com