Re: CA smog, or Why I'll stay away from CA

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CA smog, or Why I'll stay away from CA
From: dcraig@u2systems.com (Dean Craig)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 11:39:16 -0700
>>Having two "old clunkers" (I actually had a car salesperson call the Buick
that
>>to my face, grrrr....) it seems it would cost me a lot of money for the honor
>>of owning them in CA. Well, when I get this last degree and finally become a
>>productive member of society, Wife, dog, and I will go somewhere where liberty
>>still means something.
>
>The big advantage of owning "old clunkers" in California is that 1965 and
>earlier cars are exempt from pollution control inspections.  I will not
>purchase a car produced after 1965...  I figure I'm saving $50-100 each
>year by doing this, and have the satisfaction that I have a legal loophole
>to avoid the revenooers.  Of course, my registration and insurance fees are
>also much lower!  It's nice to be able to do all the work myself, instead
>of paying $60+ per hour.
>CHeers!  sf
>
>Stan Fickes               If you want safe speed--buy safe speed--MG.
>Wireless communications   1951 MGTD, under restoration
>Apple Computer, Inc.      1965 Sprite, daily commuter
>(408) 974-7653            1957 Bel Air StWgn, wife's car

After rescuing my '64 B from 9 years of storage in the California desert, I went
down to the DMV to register it. The clerk asked for my smog certificate, and I
had the sublime pleasure of responding with "I don't need one, it's a '64". One
of the earliest of my many happy memories of B ownership.

Dean "pull door handles forever" Craig

'64 B