Re: CA smog, or Why I'll stay away from CA

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CA smog, or Why I'll stay away from CA
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 14:15:06 -0700
>Having two "old clunkers" (I actually had a car salesperson call the Buick that
>to my face, grrrr....) it seems it would cost me a lot of money for the honor
>of owning them in CA. Well, when I get this last degree and finally become a
>productive member of society, Wife, dog, and I will go somewhere where liberty
>still means something.

The big advantage of owning "old clunkers" in California is that 1965 and
earlier cars are exempt from pollution control inspections.  I will not
purchase a car produced after 1965...  I figure I'm saving $50-100 each
year by doing this, and have the satisfaction that I have a legal loophole
to avoid the revenooers.  Of course, my registration and insurance fees are
also much lower!  It's nice to be able to do all the work myself, instead
of paying $60+ per hour.
CHeers!  sf

Stan Fickes               If you want safe speed--buy safe speed--MG.
Wireless communications   1951 MGTD, under restoration
Apple Computer, Inc.      1965 Sprite, daily commuter
(408) 974-7653            1957 Bel Air StWgn, wife's car