Re: Engine lacks compression and grinding 3rd gear; what to do?

To: Jurgman@aol.com
Subject: Re: Engine lacks compression and grinding 3rd gear; what to do?
From: "Christopher W. Reichle" <Christopher.W.Reichle@students.Miami.EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 09:39:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Aug 1995 Jurgman@aol.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I have a '78 'B that I've nearly rebuilt from ground up.  Only problem is
> now my engine is ailing and my transmission is screaming for attention.  I
> get around 150 psi in my first and fourth cylinders, while the two middle
> cylinders only give me around 100 psi.  Pretty big disparity there, eh.   So
> what are my options.  Do I rebuild the whole engine? Do I need new cylinder
> sleeves, can I get by with bigger rings, or can this only be determined by
> yanking the engine out and opening her up.  The reason I ask is that I can
> only get parts mail order, much like many of you others, and I would love to
> be able to order everything at once and rebuild the whole darn thing on one
> good weekend.

It ain't goina happen in one weekend...

> Second question;  I am having problems with the gear change from 2nd to 3rd
> or from 4th to 3rd.  As I push it into 3rd, I get quite a bit of resistance
> and I can feel the gears grinding.  Could this be the synchro?  Am I totally
> off the mark?  Would a repair only involve replacing maybe one gear?
>
> Please give me some advice.  If I determine that this whole project costs me
> more than $750 in parts alone, I'll be forced to sell this jewel.  I would
> really hate to sell her, since I spent my whole summer replacing tons of
> rubber parts, rebuilding brakes, and redoing the interior.

rebuilding your engine will probably cost you more that 750 if you do it
right. Perhaps you just have a few bad valves and need a little head work
done. This isn't too expensive. What are your symptoms aside from the
compression test. How many miles, what color smoke/when, backfiring?