Re: Leaf springs

To: "Angus, Dick" <Dick.Angus@WellsFargo.COM>
Subject: Re: Leaf springs
From: craig@wco.com (craig wiper)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 17:23:01 -0700
>The left rear corner of my B appeared a little low and investigation
>revealed the shock was shot. It was an original and leaking badly. I decided
>to go with the Munro tube conversion. I was pretty sure it wouldn't correct
>the "low wing" problem and it didn't. However, the ride and handling are
>much better. It now appears that the left leaf spring is shot. My question,
>should I or do I need to replace both leaf springs, or can I do just the
>left side? Thanks.

I would replace both to have even load bearing in the rear. My '74 B has the
same droop, and I've replaced all springs (used 7-leaf in the rear) and
shocks. Used tube shocks in the rear and used poly bushings all around.  Of
course she handles quite well now and is very tight and quiet, but she still
lists about 1 inch lower on the left. So I live with it. It's not really
noticable on the road (although how should I know since I'm inside and can't
see her from afar?), only in the garage!

Craig Wiper
craig@wco.com
early '74 MGB