Fourth Annual Day Before The Britcars Day

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fourth Annual Day Before The Britcars Day
From: SEFisher@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 12:56:36 -0400
It's time for the fourth annual Day Before The Britcars Day tour of the Santa
Cruz Mountains!  This upcoming Saturday, September 9, we'll be making the
by-now traditional trip through forest roads, along the beaches, and up and
down the mountains in search of the kind of twisty two-lanes that inspired
cars like ours in the first place.

This year we're making a couple of minor changes.  For one thing, I'm
planning to meet any residents from the ocean side of the mountains at the
San Gregorio General Store, at Highway 84 and Stage Road, shortly after 10
AM.  This will let some of the Santa Cruz and Half-moon Bay SOLs join us on
their side of the hill, saving a trip over and back via most of the same
roads.

Tour attendees from the Bay Area and points inland (we have some guests
arriving from as far away as the Sierra foothills!) will be meeting at The
Usual Place and Time:

Palo Alto Elks Club Parking Lot
El Camino Real between Arastradero and San Antonio Road
9:30 AM *departure*

There is a selection of breakfast spots nearby if you feel the need for
sustenance.  If you miss the 9:30 departure time, cross over Skyline via Hwy
84 and meet us at San Gregorio General Store, where there will likewise be
coffee, pastries, books, blue jeans, enamelware coffee pots, a fine selection
of hats for all ages, and a pot-bellied stove (which we put to good use back
in April).  Oh, and rest rooms.

As in years past, I recommend waiting till we get to Pescadero for lunch, and
getting picnic makings at the Hot Bread Store -- Norm's Market, on Stage at
Pescadero Road, right across from Duarte's.

>From there we'll break with tradition and head inland on Pescadero Rd. to
Phipps Ranch, a berry-picking spot complete with antique farm equipment and
petting zoo. That'll be the picnic grounds this year.  We'll then head south
on 1 to Bonny Doon Road, and then follow last year's route to Big Basin for
another stop and photo-op.  Then, assuming no one runs out of gas, we'll
adjourn in mid- to late-afternoon at the White Cockade on Highway 9.  (With
luck we won't get someone telling the Lucas-refrigerators joke; last year I
was unfortunately able to determine that it doesn't make people stop telling
the joke if, when they ask "Do you know why the English drink warm beer?" you
answer "Yes" and walk away.)

As always, this tour is free to attend; you should prepare for a driving
distance of about 100-120 miles (not including travel to the jumping-off
point and from the Cockade), whatever that means for your specific vehicle --
gas, oil, water, spare battery, etc.  Additionally, lunch at Norm's runs $5
to $10 per person, depending on what you get; the warm garlic-artichoke bread
is a must, but they also make fabulous brownies and other treats, as well as
prepared sandwiches from the deli counter in the back.  No checks, but they
take Visa and Mastercard as well as cash.  Weather is typically variable,
warmer inland and cool on the coast, so dress in layers.

Mostly, be prepared for what is becoming a favorite event for a few dozen
enthusiasts, a way to celebrate the changing of the seasons and the return to
Palo Alto of the All-British Car Show the following day, Sunday, September
10.

(The two events are not affiliated in any way; the first DBTBD was an MGB
Association tour that was scheduled in conjunction with their national
convention at the All-British Meet in 1991.)

I hope to see many familiar and new faces alike this Saturday!  (Oh, and
personal advice requested: this year, Kim and the girls are joining us, and
we're trying to decide which vehicle combination is more appropriate:

 - the 1964 M.G. MGB and the 1982 Datsun 280ZX, both of which have made the
tour in years past, and then to swap passengers and vehicles on the trip;

 - the stripped-to-bare-metal 1967 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior, which is not
British but which has a rear seat; or

 - the 1963 Volvo 122S, which is also not British but which has SU carbs and
is currently running a TR6 fuel pump diaphragm.

Decisions, decisions...)

--Scott Fisher