Curious steering answer?

To: "J. Michael Roach" <mroach@socketis.net>
Subject: Curious steering answer?
From: vortex@worldaccess.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 19:28:23 +0200
J. Michael Roach wrote:

> The particular problem I'm having:  the steering in my '75 Midget does not
self >center in the turns.
>Should the steering tend to straight, or is this "feature" typical of the
MGs?  If it >should, what could be the problem and thus, how can I fix it?

My own 1970 B _does_ self center, a friend's 1969 B does _not_ and that car
also has _very_ heavy steering.

Lack of time prevented us ( rather, that is, me.... ), from checking it out,
but my guess is that perhaps the king pins are stuck (in case they have
not been lubed over a long period of time).
If I will find out shortly, I'll let you know.

I base this on my experience with one of my other cars, a 1968 Trabant
(the only affordable car in the previously communist Eastern part
of Germany. I bought one there after the fall of the Berlin wall).

The car didn't self center, this was one of the causes why it initially failed
the inspection by the registration issuing authorities here.
I had to take the wheel suspension apart, there are two 'half' king pins on
each front wheel.
After cleaning the pins and bushes and regreasing them again, this problem
was solved.

Bert Palte
Holland, Europe, only 500 miles from Berlin..

(Please forgive me for comparing such a piece of junk with something noble
like an MG...)