Re: Wheels

To: RX22449@deere.com
Subject: Re: Wheels
From: DamitDick@megaweb.com (W. J. Richard Criswell)
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 1995 12:27:48
>Date:  05 Sep 1995 10:38:10 GMT
>From:  "Ulffers Richard R" <RX22449@deere.com>
>Sender:        owner-mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
>Subject:       Wheels
>

 >Has any one had any experience with Dayton wire wheels? Are
>they really air tight, do they stay true, and does the chrome
>stay presentable. Also are there any current size tires that
work well, with no interference etc., on a chrome bumper MGB?

Well Richard I have a set of Dayton wire wheels on my '70
B-GT. Dayton has a 3 year warranty on their wheels. I have had
two of five returned under warranty for Chrome pealing off the
hubs. I am now just out of warranty and the inside of the hub
of the spare (which spends most of its time in the car) has
the chrome pealing. I can visually see the Chrome going on One
other hub. Dayton was very good about the two I did return
under warranty. However they are VERY VERY slow (4 to 6
months).

I have been pleased with the quality of the chrome on the rims
and of the quality of the stainless steel spokes. The wheels
are sealed inside so they work well with tubeless tires. They
are true and I have had no trouble in that area. Be aware that
not everybody has the cones necessary to balance wire wheels
so that could be a problem.

I run 165 SR 14" Michelins on the car with no problems. I
don't know if this is still a current size.

Hope this helps.

Dick :>)
Vintage Parts & Products
Have MG will travel