Timing is everything.

To: graham@disr.den.mmc.com, mgs-owner@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Timing is everything.
From: Humphreys_Neil/dal9_nvhumphr@dal.mobil.com
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 16:20:03 -0500
Item Subject: Message text
Graham:

I don't know how crudded up your distributor is (sounds pretty bad if
the vacuum advance is solid), but you can strip one down, clean it out,
and rebuild it with a new vacuum advance.  The main thing to check
before doing this is how much wear there is on the distributor shaft -
if you can feel any significant side-to-side movement, a new distributor
is indicated.  Otherwise, I'd start stripping it down (mind for those
springs on the centrifugal weights the little suckers take off like
rockets if you're not paying attention) and cleaning it out.  You may
find the vaccuum advance is seized into the body.  Once you have removed
the knurled advance adjustment (if fitted) along with its tiny spring
clip (another one which will become airborne), the vacuum unit should
pull out of the distributor body.  If it's seized, a combination of
brute force and solvent will be needed - this may end up damaging the
distributor body, but hopefully not. New vacuum advances are available
from Moss et al.  Good luck!

Neil