RE: to SU or not to SU

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: to SU or not to SU
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 95 17:11:00 PDT
I've passed on the name before, and I guess I'll do it again.

Contact: Jim Taylor
     ???? Harned Ave.
     Bartlesville, OK

He's the best (and cheapest) SU wizard I know. The carbs are clearly
rebuildable and for a lot less than the prices you see for Webers, rebuilts,
and anything else.

I don't have a number for Jim, but he's listed in the directory. I have no
connection with him except being a very satisfied customer.

Regards,
Lew Palmer
lew.palmer@uci.com
Hey folks,
        Well, since my '73 Midget had a new distributor, and was all
nicely timed etc. I figured it was now possible to tune my SU
carbs to perfection :). I spent one evening and the better part
of the next morning adjusting/driving/adjusting/driving ad
nauseum, until i finally thought to myself "it's perfect" and
decided to drive it up the canyon to Kittredge to fill up the
tank (4 miles). I drove it up and back (nice windy canyon :)
and parked her in the driveway - popped open the hood -er- bonnet
just in time to see gasoline dripping out of both sides of the
throttle shaft openings on one of my SU's.  :(

        Now i figure if gas can get out, air can get in, so this
is completely unacceptable. :|

        From what i've read this condition pretty much makes
an SU carb - how should i say it - rubbish. Is this a fairly
good assesment of my poor carb's fate - or can they
be rebuilt??

        My local Imports parts place quotes me $475 for a Weber
carb and a manifold. I'd like to keep it stock, but, well,
whaddya all think of the Webers?? Is this price too high?? (US dollars)

        TIA - as always :)
                Graham

 --
 --