RE: Factory Tuning manuals was (RE: Stupid Tuning Question) (fwd)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Factory Tuning manuals was (RE: Stupid Tuning Question) (fwd)
From: "Gary R. Burrell" <burrelgr@tuns.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:26:12 -0300
On Sun, 17 Sep 1995, J. Michael Roach wrote:

> This is certainly a good point.  What is the best place in America for these
>manuals?  I've never been able to get one through any bookstore, but Victoria
>British and Moss both carry them for about $40 a piece, as I recall.
>
> > You Americans all have a fascination for Haynes manuals.  What is wrong with
> > the factory Service Manuals.  Haynes has the major problem that they try to
> > deal with too many variants/models in one book.  the Factory Manual is
> > easier to follow.  They are freely available.
> >
> > Regards
> > Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia

Well I have a number of different manuals for my 1968 MGB here is my
review:

Autopress 1969-73 MGB workshop manual:  Given to me by the DPO when I
bought the car.  You will note my car is a 1968.  I threw this on a shelf
so I won't really comment on it.

Chiltons 1961-80 MGs ($14 US): Covers MGB, MGC, Midget and MG 1100.  This
is your generic auto repair book with some MG specifics.  Not much bettter
than  nothing at all.  (In fact you probably are better of with no manual at
all) My recomendation for this book is you use it for a table leg support or
such.

Haynes MGB 62-80 ($16 US): Probably the best manual other than the actual
factory service manual.  Some good pictures, and sometimes more information
than  the factory manual.  To be honest IMHO  Haynes does not have the
problem  alluded to above, but Chiltons sure does. (I also have the Haynes
SU  manual ($14 US) but to be honest I never had much use for it)

Bentley, The Complete offical MGB 1962-74 ($45 US): Contains The reprint
of the owners manuals, the factory service manual and the special tuning
manual.  This is what the garages had.  It is with out a doubt the best
manual to have for your car.

Owners Workshop Manual 1968-81 ($15 US): This is a glovebox size book I
carry in my car.  (well actually it doesn't fit in my glovebox so I have it
under the seat).  It seems really good although I haven't had much
opertunity (knock on wood) to use it.  The only times I've used it have
been when I was working on the car and was to lazy to go and get one of
the other manuals.  Reasonably complete but small size and small print.

My recomendation buy both the Haynes and the Bentley.  If you can't get
both, the Bentley is better but assumes you are a mechanic.  If you are
just starting out buy the Haynes and later as you want to tackle more
difficult projects get the Bentley.  You can save the cost of both
these manuals with just one do it yourself job!!!

One other book that deserves mention here is the factory parts manual.
This is a comprehensive listing of all the parts on the car, and their
factory part numbers.  It was the only way I was able to get the
correct part number for my speedometer (I have a 1968 "Canadian"
metal dash MGB), and my speedometer (which had been replaced with the
wrong part) was specific to that model.  Now if only the US vendors would
start  using the factory part numbers instead of their own numbering
system.   (The UK vendors all use factory numbers, as does Seven)

Gary Burrell

Character__|20_|47_|61_|72_|79_|20_|42_|75_|72_|72_|65_|6C_|6C_|20_|20_|
Electronic Signature: Gary R. Burrell P.Eng. (burrelgr@tuns.ca)