Re:75 MGB running again?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:75 MGB running again?
From: Kevin Buckley <kb@techprt.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 95 12:45:38 BST
At 21:04 17/09/95 -0400, you wrote:
>75 MGB running again?
>
>I can't explain the tach behavior but the problem seems to behave as a fuel
>problem. I have seen similar symptoms with trash near the tank fuel pickup.
> Although I would be reluctant to try the propane torch method you should be
>able to isolate the fuel system before the carburators to see if it makes a
>difference.  You could try connecting to a friend's MG using a long piece of
>fuel hose.  Good Luck!
>
>2-79 MGs
>
>MGPhil @AOL

This is probably not what's causing your problem but the swinging tach'
reminds me of a problem on a friend's 'Spit' (ugh...) that we diagnosed
after much head scratching.  The symptons were that the engine started OK &
would tick over at 800-1000 no problem.  If it was started on choke it would
rev up to about 1500 then cut then rev then cut etc. until eventually it
would settle down & tick over normally.

After much fiddling with the fuel system we spotted a fragment of wire that
had come detached from the points connection in the distributor.  Under
1000rpm the wire didn't touch anything.  Starting on choke increases the
idle speed & as the revs increased the mechanical advance turned the
baseplate until the wire touched the metal distributor housing & shorted out
the points.  As the revs dropped the wire disconnected again & the engine
restarted - ad infinitum.

Kevin

Mail:  Kevin Buckley                              #####
       The Technology Partnership plc             #####
       Melbourn, Royston                          #####
       Herts. SG8 6EE UK                          #####
Tel:   +44 1763 262626                            #####
Fax:   +44 1763 261582                        THE TECHNOLOGY PARTNERSHIP
EMail: kb@techprt.co.uk