Re: Thermostat Cover Removal

To: sean_johnson@milacron.com, macedonia-statc@kaman.com
Subject: Re: Thermostat Cover Removal
From: MGBay@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:57:37 -0400
Sean,

I'm with you!  I've never gotten an easy-out to work consistently for me
either.  And I've spent a good deal of money buying better and better
easy-outs with the same results....broken easy-outs!  Then the situation is I
have to remove the remainder of the broken stud and the broken easy-out which
of course is a lot harder steel.  Jeesh!

If you're doing a lot of work at home where you'll be around stubborn studs,
the best tool I've found is a socket-type stud removal tool.  It slips down
over the stud and has three offset cams that grip the stud.  They work in
both directions and don't mangle the surface if you're looking to reuse it.
 They are expensive and are specifically sized, ie. 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, and
1/2 which is what I have.  I bought mine from the Snap-on dealer.  Ouch!

Randy "...if it was easy everyone would be doing it"  Balogh
Lebanon, Ohio