Thermostat Cover Removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Thermostat Cover Removal
From: MACEDONIA <macedonia-statc@kaman.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 08:20:25 -0400 (EDT)
If any of you remember (or care), I'm currently in the process of dismantling
(dismembering?) my '66 B for a complete restoration. Over the last couple of
days I've been removing the switches from the dash (which did not give up
without a fight) to prepare for its removal. Yesterday I started to remove the
water temp/oil pressure gauge. Since I wanted to remove the gauge completely
(I'm storing all parts in marked plastic bags) I tried to remove the water
temperature sensor from the engine block. As you would expect from a 29 year
old car, I didn't want to come out. To get better leverage, I decided to remove
the thermostat cover. The 3 nuts came off (relatively) easily, but the cover is
stuck fast. I tried tapping it lightly but no luck. Does anyone have any
suggestions? I've considered removing the studs which would allow the cover to
rotate but I don't want to compound my problems with stripped or broken studs.

My thanks in advance,

David Macedonia
1966 MGB
macedonia-statc@kaman.com