Re: Leaking rear oil seal

To: Jay Hartwig <Jurgman@megaweb.com>
Subject: Re: Leaking rear oil seal
From: Jeffrey Taberski <taberski@uidaho.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 18:53:59 -0700 (PDT)
I know that seal manufacturers make "sleeve & seal" kits for this groove
problem, but I've only seen them for domestic truck axles.  The kit comes
with a sleeve which glues on to the grooved portion of the axle and an
oversized seal.  The sleeve provides a smooth surface for the seal to
ride on.  I've not seen them in VB or Moss catalogs.  Anyone?

Go to a good neighborhood parts store and ask to look through their seal
catalog "buyer's guide."  This will be the catalog with all the seal
dimensions and types.  It is boring and tedious, but you may get lucky
and find a sleeve and seal kit that will fit the B's axle.  Be sure to
have the old seal dimensions, type of lips, and the diameter of the axle.

The only other possibility I can think of is you may have a bent axle.
But this should be evident by spinning the hub and looking for runout.

Good Luck

-Jeff