Re: MGB transmission swap

To: craig@wco.com, jcatford@rsvs.ulaval.ca
Subject: Re: MGB transmission swap
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 02:38:54 -0400
In a message dated 95-09-17 01:12:45 EDT, craig@wco.com (craig wiper) writes:

>Hi J.G.,  There is an outfit in Southern California called Novus who
>advertises a 5-speed tranny for the MGB. I've got a '74 B and have been
>tempted to call them myself and find out about it but haven't yet. Their
>phone number is (714) 979-0451. Good luck. If you contact them could you let
>us know what you find out? Thanks!

Just so you know...these sound like the folks who sell conversion kits to put
Nisson boxes into the B and Midgets, the kit is close to $500, then you must
supply the trans. Not a bad idea necessarily, but a late B overdrive with no
exchange can be had for $7-800,, and required no other fitting, so by the
time you are done doing the 5 speed thing you really are spending the same or
more money and getting a gearbox that doesn't shift as nicely as the B.
If you must do this, be sure to use a Z box, not a truck or sedan box, they
are much stronger and better overall.