Re: Zehring's leak theory

To: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Subject: Re: Zehring's leak theory
From: russ@scubed.com (Russ Wilson)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 15:29:20 -0800
Denise related:

>At a recent San Diego MG Club meeting, Mike Haines (sp?) and his nepwhew
>from across the pond, described driving a TC from San Diego to New York
>and back again.  He said it leaked three quarts of oil on the way there
>and then they figured out what the problem was and it didn't need any oil
>on the way back.

Only a quart per thousand miles in a TC!!  I wouldn't even mention it.  My
seal-less B dumps twice that.

>I don't understand his explanation and I don't know if
>it relates to an early MGB, but Mike said that the oil slinger on the crank
>(front? back?) would sling oil if the car was turned off immediately after
>stopping.  Once they started letting it idle for a minute (maybe two?) it
>stopped slinging oil entirely.

I can imagine the slinger working *better* at crusing rpm than at idle but
the "on or off" behavior of the leak rate you describe seems odd.

>See what you miss by not going to meetings,
>Russ?  First Donald Healeeeeey, and now oil slinger tips.

Whaaat....have you been promoted to membership chairperson now?

Russ Wilson      (at least I did pay my club dues on time this year)