Ill fitting soft top

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Ill fitting soft top
From: LelandS@dow.com (Leland Smith)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 14:28:51 -0400
This spring I purchased a new convertible top for my 69 MGB.  The top was
manufactured by Robins.   During the installation when I had with what I
considered the right amount of tension on the top, I noticed that the
corners of the top rail were still exposed.   I hear Robins made high
quality top, and since I had never installed one before I figured that I
was just too conservative with my tension.  I stretched the top tighter
until the corners of the head rail were covered.  By this time the top was
very tight.  I should have realized at this point I was in trouble, but I
convinced my self that the top would "relax" after a while.   Besides the
tabs that snap to the window frame barely reached the male snap on the
window frame and I wasn't even sure I would have enough material to install
the female portion of the snap.  so I persevered.

Now I stuck with a top that is so tight it takes two people to close it and
too tight to fasten the lift-on-dots in the rear.

The two most logical scenarios are either installed it incorrectly or got a
bad top.

Has anyone else had any problems with Robins tops?

Any suggestions would be appreciated regarding fixes, (I'm afraid not too
likely) brands of good tops and installation techniques.

Thanks

Leland

P.S.
I consider my self mechanically adept (don't we all).  I'm a mechanical
engineer and have worked on my cars since I was a teenager.