MG-TD Rear Axle Gear Ratio

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG-TD Rear Axle Gear Ratio
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 95 19:58 EST
I am very much confused about the highway capability of the old TD. I am
currently restoring one and would like to take it on short 50 mi trips where
the speed limit reaches 65 mph. I hear that the high gear ratio (4.875:1)
makes the
engine rev too high. What is the maximum crusing speed without undo engine
wear?  Also, regarding tires, I was recently advised that radial ply tires
would make the rear axle ratio even higher, and I should use bias ply tires.
Are 15in bias ply tires bigger than 15in radial ply tires? I measured the
distance from the ground to the axle on my old bias ply tires and found it to
be 12.5in. Where does the 15 come from? Has anybody tried slightly larger
diameter tires to cut down the RPM? Oh, by the way, what is the correct tire
pressure for radial ply tires?

Please share your wisdom, oh wise sage of the cyberspace.

Bob Donahue  " 50s FOREVER "
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD