RE: MG-TD Rear Axle Gear Ratio

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MG-TD Rear Axle Gear Ratio
From: Tom Britt <rasputin@gate.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 18:38:43 -0400

----------
From:   A. B. Bonds[SMTP:ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu]
Sent:   Monday, September 25, 1995 11:43 AM
To:     mgs@autox.team.net

In <3066D0F7@p01.uci.com>, Palmer, Lew (UCI) wrote:

>I hate to break it to you, but the standard ratio TD diff. is 5.125:1. =
Even=20
>worse than you suspected.
>
>Nonetheless, I've been running happily of this ratio for almost 15 =
years=20
>with no real adverse effects. I admit it revs more than I would like, =
but it=20
>does make for quick starts. I've often said that I think I could climb =
trees=20
>with that car.

Even with the 54 hp engine, one can squeak the tyres in third gear.
But the downside is, as commented upon, the feeling that the clutch
will disintegrate and take out one's kneecaps when at freeway (well,
highway) speeds.

>Meanwhile, I run about 4250 RPM at 60 MPH. I used to run 4250 at 55 =
MPH, but=20
>changing to radials bumped me up to 60.

Which brings to mind the following question--do you _really_ believe
that speedometer?  I get the feeling that mine was set up for 19"
wheels, since ti reads about 60 when I am doing 45.  I have herad
other TD owners comment similarly and have just assumed that the
speedo is stiff-upper-lip optimistic.  Can they be made to read
correctly (or even close)?

I regularly drive my TD at 55-60 (original rear end), at least judging
from the speed of the other traffic.  The tach reads in the
neighborhood of 4400 rpm.  The engine screams and rattles (yes, it's
the rockers) but has done so for 20 years.

                        A. B. Bonds

My TD goes about 60 @ 4200 but it often gets too hot (I think). Who =
knows if the temp gauge is correct? and this is Florida!  I am now =
trying "Water Wetter" from Moss, but I think it is probably snake oil or =
some other bamboozle.  I use Michelin 165x15 radials (without tubes) =
with no problem, and I am sure that my speedo is accurate as I just got =
a speeding ticket! The cop had to be a kewl-phobe.  I have replaced the =
lay gear and transmission and had a valve job and a carburettor (British =
spelling) rebuild.  Everything else is original.  I am not especially =
mechanical, obviously. I am a veteran MG driver: MGTD, MGA, MGB =
roadsters.  I just treat my car like I did all my other MGs and take it =
to my mechanic (the ex-dealer) for regular checkups, etc.=20
My original mechanic is about gaga, since he was in his forties when I =
was a college boy, and that was in the ice age. He has taken on young =
help, fortunately. Everything works fine (except the doors of course), =
and I drive it every day.  I don't have a hood (top), but am thinking of =
adding one this winter... Tom