RE:Robins Top

To: "MG Listserver" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:Robins Top
From: "Allan R. Hovis" <hovisa@nando.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 14:02:07 EDT
On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, David Hay wrote:

> LelandS@dow.com wrote:
> >
> >This spring I purchased a new convertible top for my 69 MGB.  The top
> was manufactured by Robins.   During the installation when I had with
> what I considered the right amount of tension on the top, I noticed
> that the corners of the top rail were still exposed.   I hear Robins
> made high quality top, and since I had never installed one before I
> figured that I was just too conservative with my tension.  I stretched
> the top tighter until the corners of the head rail were covered.  By
> this time the top was very tight.  I should have realized at this point
> I was in trouble, but I convinced my self that the top would "relax"
> after a while.   Besides the tabs that snap to the window frame barely
> reached the male snap on the window frame and I wasn't even sure I
> would have enough material to install the female portion of the snap.
> so I persevered.
> >
> >Now I'm stuck with a top that is so tight it takes two people to close
> it and too tight to fasten the lift-on-dots in the rear.
> >
> >The two most logical scenarios are either installed it incorrectly or
> got a bad top.
> >
> >Has anyone else had any problems with Robins tops?

I too have a Robins top (after parking on the street and having someone
run up the bonnet, through my top and down the boot on night- possibly
drunk?) and had (have) the same problem. I have not been able to snap the
two snaps next to the windshield yet even though the top is quite tight.
I have also had problems with the stiching in the seams around the rear
window. After about a year, they have rotted and I have had to glue the
window zipper back to the top. I bought Robins because I thought it was
one of the best. Hate to see the others!

Allan Hovis
72B