(long )Engine Install - Success...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: (long )Engine Install - Success...
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 12:23:54 -0400 (EDT)

 Scions-

  Here's a summary of the successful engine install yesterday!

   07:00  Arrive at rental place to pick up hoist.  Friendly
          counter person cannot find important parts of hoist.
          Day is NOT starting well.  Convince guy to steal parts
          from a doner and we're on our way.

   07:30  Load engine onto engine transport dolly (skateboard)
          and steer around garage by tailpiece of gearbox.

   07:45  Assemble hoist and scope-out top of engine for suitable
          lifting points.  Agree on head-stud slightly behind #4 plug
          and manifold studs #1 and 2.  Bolt on the tow eyes from
          the rear bumper brackets after shimming with washers to
          hold in tension.  Cross chain from front to back and secure
          with 5/8 AN bolts and many washers.  Fish chain underneath
          engine between pan and gearbox and up the other side.  Run a
          long bolt through the trio of links to limit link slipping.
          Lift a bit to check balance.  Adjust chain and repeat.
          Play with release valve to get a feel for it under load.

   08:15  Roll car out of garage and put rear end up on stands (thanks
          Denise!)  Pump hoist to raise engine.  Pump some more, and
          some more.  Close valve on jack cylinder.  Pump, pump, pump...
          Pray that $20 worth of new AN hardware supporting dangling
          engine really _IS_ AN hardware.  Please dont fail, please
          dont fail...

   08:30  Put jack under car to support gearbox and sloooowly push,
          err, drag hoist into place.  Positions everyone: my father is
          driving the hoist, my best-man is under the car waiting
          to push/jack the gearbox into position and I am nose to
          nose with the crank nut guiding. Ok, forward, down, forward,
          down. WATCH THE PAINT!  Forward some more, down; the left
          mount seats and the bolts slide right in.  Damn, get the
          packing plate that is sitting on the tool cab and glue it
          on with contact cement.  Hmmn, something is wrong here.
          Slightly loosen all mounting bolts/nuts, but still not
          enough play.  Take a break and survey the problem.

  08:45   Left mount is aligned fine, holes for the right are 1/4
          inch too high.  Need a drift pin to get the holes lined up,
          but they are all too long.  Where's the center-punch?
          Still too long.  Fire up the compressor and cut it in half
          with the whizzer wheel.  Wiggle, wiggle.  First bolt in.
          Persude mount with hammer and drift, second and third in.
          Pry mount and tap some more.  Finally, last bolt in!
          Tighten everything down.  Damn.  Forgot the ground strap.
          Undo and re-tighten.

  09:45   Crawl under car and attach one mount to gearbox and the other
          mount to the crossmember.  Wiggle it into place, put nut onto
          mount.  Damn, bolt is not through the rubber donuts.  Realign
          and start over.  Damn, jack is blocking access to the holes.
          Repositon and start over after taking break to let blood
          flow back into arms and hands.  Try again and after much
          contortioning and sworking, the bolts finally go in.  Jack up
          gearbox and bolt up crossmember.

  11:00   Admire engine sitting proudly on mounts.  Thank all involved
          and crack open the first brew.  I know, it's early, but it's
          noon somewhere!

   Thanks to all who offered advice- Randy Balogh, Sean Johnson, Chris
   Reichle, Richard White, Bill Mills, Denise Thorpe, Dick Burger and
   anyone else I inadvertantly missed.

   Tonight I get to mount the starter, pedals and clutch hydraulics.
   Stay tuned for more details...

   --Scott 'why are my arms and shoulders so sore' Hower

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.             'Managing programmers
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA      is like trying to herd cats'
   (610) 481-2646                                      --Anonymous