MGF in USA

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGF in USA
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 16:26:50 +0500
>For what reasons would they not sell the car here?  Do they believe it
won't sell well?
>They couldn't be angry about the emission stuff, I wouldn't think...

Two things come to mind:  the present car does not meet US safety standards
(I don't believe it has any passive restraints, such as air bags).  That is
probably a reletively modest problem in the scheme of things as would be
conversion to lhd (which they must be doing anyway to sell in Europe).

I suspect the greater hurdle that would have to be overcome in selling the
MGF in the US is...  who would sell it?  There is no longer a dealer network
here.  They would either have to make some sort of deal with an existing
dealer network (who?) or start from scratch and establish one from bare
walls.  That might take a *lot* of time (3 years? or more?) and by then, who
knows, maybe the niche (sp?) will have been filled by miatas.

What does the MGF cost in the UK now?  If we could by one at a straight
pounds to dollars conversion, what would it cost here?

On a related subject; has anyone else seen the photos of the Lotus "Elise"
in the latest issue of AutoWeek?  Ooooppps, this is the MG list....   never
mind.  ;-)

Will "My '63 was cheeper (and better looking)" Zehring