Re: Silly part name

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silly part name
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 03:33:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 2 Oct 1995 TATERRY@aol.com wrote:

> A squab is of course a young pigeon per my Dictionary but Mr. Twist agrees
> with me that is is also the seat back....now do you think that pigeons live
> in the "wheelhouse" or is that another Silly Part Name....do hope some one is
> keeping a file of this madness and will share when we all run out of names or
> patience.....!

The "squab" is the seat bottom, not the seat back.  If you dig around in
contemporary articles on BritCars of the 1930's, you'll find references to
"inflatable seat squabs", referring to a seat construction that was
popular for a (mercifully) short time.  There was an inflatable rubber
ring in the seat instead of the usual springs/horsehair/whatever.  Some
P/K/N models and early TA's had them, for example, I think as an extra
cost option.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.