Re: Silly part name

To: Dave Etherington <detherin@gold.interlog.com>
Subject: Re: Silly part name
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 13:02:07 -0400 (EDT)
Terry asked:

> >....and now does anyone know what a "Draught Excluder" is...?  One clue is
> >that it has nothing to do with warm English beer!

And Dave Etherington responded:

> I may be wrong, but isn't "draught excluder" the old side curtain days
term
> for the vent window, or, as they were once referred to in North America,
> "no draft" windows?
> Dave Etherington
> detherin@interlog.com

I think a draught excluder is a door seal--the sort of thing that has a
finished plastic or fuzzy surface that covers the raw metal around the
door opening and has an attached rubber seal that fills the gap between
the door and the body.

The equivalent devices on american cars used to call the "windlace."  I
don't recall that personally, of course, because I am much too young.  Dad
told me about windlace because mom told him it was time to have a talk
with me and he was embarassed to talk about sex.

Ray

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910