Re: heater fan

Subject: Re: heater fan
From: "White, Richard H." <White@courier3.aero.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 08:45:00 -0700
Pat, I believe I had the same problem a few years ago. The car had been in
storage and the fan didn't work (or something else, cant remember, maybe it
was the turn signals). Do your turn signals work?? I do remember it was a
strange thing. The power to whatever was routed thru the emergency flasher
switch on the left side of the dash. Hot weather and lack of use caused the
grease inside the switch to coat the contacts and cause an open circuit. This
was only discovered after completely disassembly of the switch and breaking
some of the parts. The switch is quite expensive so I glued it back together
and now everything works. Next time I will drill a small hole in the case and
spray contact cleaner into the case.

As far as your problem is concerned, double check the fan switch. Drill a
small hole in it and spray contact cleaner in it before replacing. Connect a
voltmeter to the back of the switch (with all other wires connected) You
should read close to battery voltage or zero depending on the switch
position.  Avoid buying parts, disconnect the fan connector and apply 12
volts to check the fan independently from the switch and car wiring. Check
back if you need help on the correct wires.

Good Luck, Richard
REPLY FROM: White, Richard H.