Re: Does Waxoyl really work?

To: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Does Waxoyl really work?
From: "G. Clark Smith" <gcs@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 16:14:37 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, A.D.Smith wrote:

> My long tube has a sort of nail like thing in the end which makes the
> Waxoyl spray out sideways from the end of the tube when pumped up.
>
> It works so well that I got covered in the stuff once the hard bit pushed
> its way out the end.  The road had a large Waxoyl puddle, the pavement,
> my hair.  For about two weeks afterwards whenever the sun shone more would
> continue to drip out of the sills.  It certainly sprayed !

I put duct tape over all the holes for a few days and found this kept
the Waxoyl from leaking out before it had time to congeal.

Also, on the subject of spraying, one trick I tried was to thin the waxoyl by
cutting it down with kerosene.  This greatly helped the flow characteristics
of the waxoyl and helped it last longer.  I did this is in the early winter
time and then let the car sit for a few weeks in vented garage before I drove
it around.  I don't like the smell of waxoyl or kerosene that much.

For those who are worried about developing proper pressure I found that you
could replace the release valve (black and red plastic thing) on the sprayer
handle with an air pressure coupler.  Then, attach your LOW PRESSURE (3-4
psi) air hose to can and spray away.  Although, I still had to keep fiddling
with the flattened nail in the tip. I found it was much easier to adjust this
when you weren't constantly pumping up the can.  For those who try this a
note of warning - make sure you use a low pressure line.  On night I
accidently attached the high pressure (80 psi) line to the can.  Before I
knew it the can expanded to almost twice its size and was making strange
popping sounds.  I quickly cut the air pressure hose from the tank (I wasn't
going back near the can) and was thankfully praying that I or the car hadn't
been hurt.  When you remove the release valve you remove all safety.  Be
careful and go at your own risk.

Has anyone every brought waxoly in a spray can?  It is slightly different
than from the large containers.  The spray can waxoyl seems to flow
easier.

I am enjoying this thread.  Has anyone tried the American
product LPS-3?  I find it much thinner than Waxoyl and cheaper in price.

Clark Smith

|| G. Clark Smith          - gcs@acpub.duke.edu     ||
|| Research Assistant      - Office: (919) 660-8963 ||
|| Dept. of Mech. Engin.   - Hudson Hall, room 190  ||
|| Duke University         - Lab:    (919) 660-5434 ||
|| Durham, N.C. 27708-0302 - Fax:    (919) 660-8963 ||