MG with no power

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG with no power
From: "Eric L. Van Iderstine" <elv1@ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 10:07:39 -0500 (CDT)

Help,

Situation
74 B RD has no power, it couldn't beat a pedestrian...
it has..
new electronic ignition (just put on balast resistor, coil still gets
rather warm), valvetrain adjusted, new plugs/wires, vacuum advance works
again,

Pluses
will idle at 1000 rpm
carbs balanced with SU tool kit (this is something you can build for next
to nothing, or pay $11.00 for, I wish I would have gotten the Uni-syn)
no backfiring while revving the engine

Minuses
Timing at idle (1000 or so rpm) is about 40 deg (any less, and it
sputters).
Runs VERY rich.
When I drive around the parking lot, it WILL NOT accelerate.

any suggestions?  I'd like to make it to Memphis next weekend in it, not
my Buick....

Eric

Eric L. Van Iderstine - ME senior - Mississippi State University
Design Coordinator - MSU Formula SAE......Powered by Honda......
elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu     http://www2.msstate.edu/~elv1
74 MGB & 85 Buick (until I finish the MG)