Re: Gas Tank Rust

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas Tank Rust
From: Yengis@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 1995 01:54:34 -0400
>I venture that the real problem here with "rust" is that on our T types and
>older, we can see the inside of the gas tank....all cars have rust in the
gas
>tanks, you just can't see it.
I'm sure that Terry has hit the nail on the head.  My own experiences in this
area began when I added a BAP/Geon electronic fuel pump under the floorboards
of my TC, as insurance.  The pump happened to have a filter screwed in the
end, and I left it on.  That was where I made my big mistake.  It plugged up
on a daily basis, and I kept putting on bigger filters, but with no joy, they
all plugged.  Eventually I threw them all away, and went back to stock.  The
screen in the bottom of the gas tank, and the SU screens are all I have, and
they filter out the cats and dogs.  Every now and then I take the top  off my
float bowls, and  allow the gas to evaporate.  At the bottom of the bowls is
usually a small, hard cake of rust, which I break up with a screwdriver,and
vacuum  out.  No problems have developed in several years of frequent fairly
hard running.
         Jack Signey ( T.C.'s forever )