Re: OD Transmissions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OD Transmissions
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 23 Oct 1995 12:41:33 -0500
In <199510231639.MAA05229@dialup.oar.net>, Ramm, Andy wrote:
>What is required, both in parts and in US dollars, in converting a '69
>non OD MGB to overdrive?  Is it worth the money or does this not really
>get me much?

The key is laying hands on a suitable OD tranny.  It is not
cost-effective to convert a non-OD tranny to OD.  I believe that by
1969 B's were equipped with the all-synchro tranny.  In that event,
the conversion entails getting the OD tranny and a longer speedo
cable and a bit of wiring.  The driveshaft does not have to be
replaced.

Note that there are two types of all-synchro OD trannies, early and
late.  The late models started around 1975.  The difference lies in
the gearing for the speedo drive.  If you find a tranny with an early
model OD (black label LH) your existing speedo will read about 1% over
your actual speed, whch is within the error of tire pressure etc.  The
later model (blue label LH) overdrives have different gearing that
will require getting a speedo from a late model car as well.

I believe that the OD is worth it.  It drops the rpm about 7-800 at
freeway speeds, makes long distance cruising a pleasure.  Last I saw
the going price on used OD trannies was about $400-500.

                A. B. "Been there, done that, got the Tshirt" Bonds