Re: SU Damper Fluid

Subject: Re: SU Damper Fluid
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 14:15:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 23 Oct 1995, Eric L. Van Iderstine wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Oct 1995, John M. Trindle wrote:
>
> > If this message doesn't make sense give it 4 hours sleep and a cup of
>coffee.
> >
> Oh no, a .com that doesn't get much more sleep than I do......Please tell
> me that I'm going to get more sleep after I graduate......PLEASE

Uh, small businessmen don't sleep.  And I am well under 6' so...

We just finished a convention in Atlantic City and I was working the
booth in the exhibitor hall.

> The viscosity question is a good one......
> Here's what I know (think I know, my fluid power book is at my apartment).
> SAE 20w50 means that the oil acts like a 50 weight at 0 deg C, and a 20
> weight at 100 deg C....So the viscosity decreases (easier to flow at high
> temps) with temp....

This is backwards... viscosity matches a 20 weight oil when BOTH are at 0
degrees, a 50 weight oil when BOTH are at 100 degrees.  Or something.

> cool with all of that intake air running through them)  SO, they might
> reach 110 deg F (43 deg C).....while the engine is at operating temp.

OK.

> If the change of the viscosity of the oil is linear, then at 43 deg C,
> the 20w50 oil acts like a 37 weight.....IF I'm right (more like, if I'm
> not wrong), then the oil IS TOO viscous (hard to flow) at the assumed 110
> def F.  So YES, it would take the carb pistons longer to go down, causing
> your engine to take longer for the revs to go down.

It's not linear, but I'll buy your conclusion.  However, it also seems to
me you want a multi-vis to make the carbs consistant at all operating
temperatures.   But maybe the under-hood temp is pretty consistant once
the engine warms up.

Anyway, it seems the way to go so far is either the little bottles ($$)
or some sort of straight 20 weight or multi-vis which is similar to a
straight 20 at normal operating temps.  Since I've never seen a
straight-weight oil other than 30 I was curious what the folks used...

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Quantized Revision of Murphy's Law:
   Everything goes wrong all at once."