Re: XJ-S V-12: Oil Coolers

To: Kirby Palm <palmk@gcn.scri.fsu.edu>, mgs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: XJ-S V-12: Oil Coolers
From: jello@main.cpcnet.com (Phil Bates)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 22:29:15 -0300
>I don't think either design is thermostatically regulated on the Jag.  In
>fact, the Lamborghini retrofit is the only thermostatically regulated oil
>cooling scheme I've ever heard of.  I think the idea on most cars is to
>control the engine temp -- and therefore the temp of the oil in the engine
>-- by thermostatically regulating the coolant; oil coolers only provide
>supplemental cooling and don't require control on their own.
>
>                     --  Kirbert

Thermostatically controlled oil cooler systems are also available for MGs.
I know people that theoretically swear by them, but I don't believe the
people I talked to had any solid evidence of the benefits.  The key benefit
stated was that when you run the stock oil cooler in an MG, the oil remains
very cool, and will "make shellac (sp?)" on the engine components.  When you
have the thermostatically controlled system, you would not get that.  I have
my doubts, but these guys believed it.  Seems to me that shellac is created
when you overheat an oil, but I'm not really sure about that.
Phil Bates
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C
52 MG TD replicar (VW)