Re: Winter Storage

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winter Storage
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 13:21:12 PDT
> Fellow Mg'ers
> It's getting to be that time year (at least here in Canada) and time to put
> the MG to bed for the winter months. Any hints/ideas on proper storage do's
> and don't's.  The car will probably be sitting for the next 4 months (far
> too long!) in an un-heated garage.
> So far I've recently changed all fluids (engine, gear-box and rear-end) so
> they are clean. Should I pull the battery?, should I start it once a while?
> Should  I put it on stands? etc.
> Thanks
> Dave (79B)

I once saw an MGA that had just been restored and then stored with the
top up for over a year (while the owner was serving on a Westpac).  When
he got back, the paint under the bar at the back of the top was badly
cracked.  Other than that, the only danger in storing an MG in a garage
is that it will become storage space, a home for rodents, a work bench,
and a ladder for getting to the stuff in the rafters.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com