Re: which oil to use?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: which oil to use?
From: Guy Kelley <guyk@ayla.lbl.gov>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 12:23:16 -0700
On Wed, 25 Oct 1995 01:02:34 +0000, Ira M. Weinstein replied to the list
with a very interesting and informative discussion of motor oil
characteristics and testing methods.

So far, all discussion, including Ira's, regarding "which oil to use" has
refered to detergent oils.  In my '53 TD, I have always used 30 weight
non-detergent oil (including in the SU carb dashpots).  This has worked fine
for me, but I am thinking I should probably switch to a more modern and
higher grade detergent oil as folks have been discussing.

The old arguments, if I am remembering them correctly, say that non-detergent
oil will leave the crud and sludge in an engine harmlessly alone, and not
stir them up into areas where you don't want them.  Also a detergent oil
may "clean-out" crud from leak prone areas and increase engine oil leaks.

My re-thinking on this issue leads me to think that non-detergent may still
be the way to go with an old, leaky engine that hasn't been rebuilt in a
long time.  But a modern, hi-grade multi-weight oil is probably best for an
old engine that is in pretty good shape or recently rebuilt.

Comments?

Guy Kelley
gokelley@lbl.gov
'53 MG-TD