Re: Insurance for my MGA, Keith Baer (keithb227@aol.com)

To: mgs@autox.team.net, KeithB227@aol.com
Subject: Re: Insurance for my MGA, Keith Baer (keithb227@aol.com)
From: "SCHLINING.M.W-" <SCHLINING.M.W-_at_BALT.PO.017@smtpgty.bwi.wec.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 15:51:23 EST
     Keith

     Register the car as a Historic/Classic car.  Once you have done this
     the insurance company considers it an antique and will insure it at
     its appraised value.  All you need to do is find someone who works on
     British cars that can also do appraisals.

     I insure my MGs with the same insurance company that handles my other
     cars.  Its more expensive (about $200 per year vs $75 per year) than
     Classic Car Insurance, but has no mileage restrictions and the car is
     insured for the full appraised value, less the deductable.

     Good Luck

     Marty Schlining
     57 MGA Coupe
     75 MGB

Author:  KeithB227@aol.com at BALT.SMTP
Date:    10/25/95 11:59 AM

I have just purchased a 1959 MGA.  It is an older restoration in need of some
cosmetics, but it runs and drives like crazy.  In looking for insurance I
found that the "classic car insurance" companies seem to all have a 2500
mile/year limit.  My regular insurance company will only offer me liability
insurance.
To me, driving the MGA is the main reason to own one and I really expect to
drive more than 2500 miles a year.  Can anyone offer any advice, suggestions,
experiences with insurance?  Any help would be appreciated!