RE: MGB Diff Problem.

To: "'MG Mail List'" <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Diff Problem.
From: "Palmer, Lewis" <Lew@MPLS.UCI.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 10:35:29 -0500
It sounds like your axle shafts may be worn to the point that they have r=
otated slightly inside the diff. gears. This results in the appearance of=
 the shaft being locked into the diff. I would suggest trying to rotate t=
he axle shaft(s) in the direction you would be going in reverse (counter-=
clockwise as you face that hub). See if you can achieve some rotation - T=
HEN try to pull the axle shaft out. Your objective is to get the (now che=
wed-up) axle splines to aline with the mating splines in the diff gears b=
efore trying to extract the shafts.

If you are sure the splines line up, but the axle still doesn't come out,=
 the shafts are probably mushroomed over on the inside end. Gentle persua=
sion (and a 10 lb hammer) usually will break it loose. If you can get one=
 side out, but not the other, a long drift can (on some cars) be inserted=
 from the opposite side to assist in coaxing the stubborn shaft.

Regards,
Lew Palmer
lew.palmer@uci.com